genuine / collaborative / inclusive / empathetic / user obsessed / coach / trusted partner / team builder / thematic thinker / pro-active / insatiably curious / relentless / risk manager / positive enabler
Senior digital leader with 20+ years experience ideating, designing and developing digital solutions to amplify business value through innovation and execution at scale. Committed to building a culture of empathy and integrating user-centered design into everyday thought. Advocate continuous learning to promote innovative thinking across the entire digital team.
VP, Managing Director, UX & Front-End Engineering
2007 to Present
Strategic Initiatives //
- Co-leading digital transformation with Adobe Experience Manager, driving requirements, guiding all UX, UI and development workflow in sync with our own Axis Bold Design System.
- Conceived, spearheaded and launching our first firmwide Axis Bold Design System to establish clear global experience consistency while incorporating regional priorities. Features comprehensive pattern library designs in Adobe XD paired with production ready code repository as well as process improvements to remove repetitive design churn, reduce development debt and improve speed-to-market. Along with spinning up our 65+ Institutional, Investor and Client Advisor sites, this deepens our strategic partnership with IT leaders to give them a plug-and-play front-end standard toolset for their 900+ internal AB applications.
- Using the 'Jobs To Be Done' technique, interviewed 15 sales and marketing leaders across Europe to understand our client advisors' motivations, goals and challenges. Designed a personalized Digital Advisor integrating real-time data to place contextually relevant insights and platform funds where and when they need them. Added an AI chatbot for peer-to-peer communication, leading to greater engagement and shorter conversions; ultimately, guiding the client Advisor down the funnel toward positive decision making.
- Redesigned "Context, the AB Blog on Investing", our globally renowned digital insights library into a personalized desktop and mobile experience using primary data to make real time recommendations of what to read next. Analyzed comparative and competitive blogs and online magazines like Medium and HBR, which led to enhancements that increased engagement and won a Webby Honoree Award.
- Integrated Context's shared library into global client sites using format specific templates, restructured taxonomy and content search experience.
Leadership, Growth & Execution //
- Define goals, develop plans and lead teams to manage risk and maintain high throughput on the digital roadmap.
- Lead multiple work streams across UX, Front-End, Product Owners, Ul Design, PM and QA to plan, build, launch and grow 70+ complex, interactive and targeted digital experiences across B2B and B2C products per year.
- Deep UX experience with research techniques to understand user needs. Strong ability to develop personas, user journeys, process flows, desk and mobile prototypes that lead to production level experiences and systems.
- Using agile and traditional techniques, aligned, engaged and led cross-functional teams for 3 months to launch new fund centers in 6 countries, 4 languages and 3 audiences across Europe.
- Foster a collective bond across teams with engagement and respect. Encourage inclusion by promoting junior partners for growth opportunities and diversity by gathering a broad range of members when interviewing prospective candidates.
- Planning a series of events to drive digital first awareness and user-centric culture at a firm level. These presentation workshops leverage and encourage partnership, enhance knowledge transfer and deepen employee engagement.
- Inspired 100% of our team to move to Nashville with the corporate move. Along with these cornerstone employees, recruited UX and Front-End instructors from the local professional development school to complete the team. Transitioned remaining functions from NY agencies to fully in-house Nashville.
- Established AB Marketing Services Young Professionals Program through key college outreach at NYU, Stevens Institute of Technology, Bryn Mawr College and the University of Michigan. Successfully placed and mentored 2-4 interns every semester for the last 4 years, primarily 'women who code' who have gone on to SLACK, American Express, NBC Universal; often coming back for a second tour.
Senior Business Analyst :: 2001 to 2007
- Designed internal CMS application that enabled non-technical teams to create complex intranet sites independent of Front-End Development or IT Engineering departments.
- Combined back-end systems knowledge, database analysis, focus groups and individual interviews to write comprehensive functional specifications for sales enablement applications and to enhance business process.
- Always user centered, grew UX best practices to enhance functionality, resolve localization difficulties and remediate legacy issues within current CRM systems.
DicksSports.com, ULTA.com & ZanyBrainy.com
Director, Front-End Development :: 1999 to 2001
- Recruited by CTO of $100M 'bricks-to-clicks' eCommerce incubator to lead digital merchandising innovation, development and ongoing production at Accordia, aka Online Retail Partners.
- Worked directly with the CEOs and presidents of each .com to strategize, brand and build their first online channels.
- Clients included:
- $1B sporting goods shop Dick's Sports
- $280M cosmetics business ULTA
- $250M smart toy retailer Zany Brainy
- Responsible for client discovery, front-end web development and interactive web merchandising as well as strategic user-experience to ensure that every online shopping session was engaging and successful.
- Drove value-added interactive content through deep company research, competitive analysis and focus group studies.
Manager, Front-End Development :: 1996 to 1999
- Led front-end development for the launch of Barnes & Noble's first online retail business in May 1997.
- Grew the site from a fledgling 50 page online catalog to a multi-category Amazon rival.
- Drove every redesign at bn.com: guided designers, developers and freelancers in coordinated effort with outside design agencies such as Organic Design and Roger Black’s Interactive Bureau.
- Headed a team of over 30 consultants and full time employees.
- Collaborated closely with technical teams to integrated All Music Guide content for the creation of dynamically generated bn.com Music site.
- School of Visual Arts NYC
BA Graphic Design
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Photography
School of Visual Arts NYC
- UX Intensive
Adaptive Path DC
- Web App Summit
Adaptive Path NYC
- Project Management and Database Analysis
NYU, School of Professional Studies
- Presentations…and Beyond
- An Event Apart: Seattle, Chicago, Orlando
- L2 Inc. Digital Leadership Academy
- 99u Conference
- The Next Web
- Gartner Marketing Symposium